Wednesday 25 January 2012

The Artist-My Thoughts


You've heard the buzz, you've watched it win the Golden Globe and now it's been nominated for an Oscar.
But have you actually SEEN the movie?

Not many people that I know have, and that's a huge tragedy in my eyes!

The Artist stars french actor Jean Dujardin as George Valentin, a silent movie star in a time where talkies are starting to dominate theaters.


The story that follows is magic.
Let me be the first to admit that I wasn't sure I would like this film. "What? It's a SILENT movie? How can a 2 hour movie hold my attention without ANY dialogue?!"
Oh, how wrong I was. The time FLEW by and after the first 5 minutes or so, you don't even realize no one is speaking.

Dujardin is flawless in this role and Berenice Bejo, who plays Peppy Miller, sucks you right into her world with just a few bats of her eyelashes.


This movie will tear at your heartstrings, make you laugh, and make you weep,and I can guarantee that when it's all over and you leave the theater, you'll understand exactly WHY this wonderful movie will win the best picture Oscar this year.

In closing, GO SEE THE ARTIST! ;)

I would love to hear your thoughts when you do! Comments are always welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh! agreed! I saw this movie at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood! I am already a huge lover of classic movie so I was really excited to this movie. It was treat that I got to see a Q and A with Missi Pyle, the casting director and executive producer.

    The story is simple but powerful. Peppy is amazing. Valentin reminds me of a french Gene Kelly. Ahh the dog was cute! (even though i'm not a fan of jack russells).

    I love this movie so much that I'm definitely gonna blog about this!

    This movie well deserved all of its awards. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I absolutely adore this movie! And you're very lucky to have been a part of that Q&A! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the most interesting movies I have ever seen. The ability to adapt to a new environment is essential to life and the movie expresses this theme beautifully.

    In the field of Cybernetics, The Law of Requisite Variety states that when the variety within an environment increases, one must expand his own variety in order to survive. Life will pass you by if you are you are unable or unwilling to adapt.

    It was interesting that Peppy Miller was introduced on the cover of "Variety" magazine and turned out to be a threat to George Valentin's survival. It was also interesting in the end that Valentin discovered a way to adapt without violating his artistic integrity. And he turned out to have an excellent voice with a French accent so he could have survived all along - he just chose not to violate hi artistic integrity.

    The theme of this movie is so broad-based,it applies to all endeavors and what is truly amazing to me how reluctant people so often are to recognize the need to change or to refuse to do it. For example, in the sport of basketball, so many players today like to take the ball one-on-one while remaining unaware of their teammates. They may have some success with this technique, but eventually they run into a defense with enough "variety" to snuff their moves out. Now mathematically, the variety of an offense where everyone is involved is much greater than the variety of a one-on-one offense but so often these selfish players refuse to adapt. So what happens? They lose because the refuse to adapt to the expanded variety of the environment they are now in. It is not that they are incapable, it is that they CHOOSE not to adapt.

    ReplyDelete