Wednesday 16 May 2012

Book Review-- The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Paperback-473 pages
Release date: May 24, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Series: Steampunk Chronicles #1
Author: Kady Cross


In 1897 England, 16-year-old Finley Jayne is convinced she's a freak.  
No normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch.  
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special . . . that she's one of "them."









As some of you know, I've been REALLY into Steampunk lately.
Even going so far as to put together a cosplay outfit for future cons.
It's a fun and fascinating genre, so I was really looking forward to reading my first Steampunk novel, The Girl in the Steel Corset.

This book reminded me a lot of Sherlock Holmes, with a bit of X-Men and Jekyll and Hyde thrown into the mix.

Finley Jayne is a GREAT character. I loved her from page 1, but she gets even better as the book progresses.
My favourite, however, is Emily. She reminds me so much of a character I used to play in an MMO. Irish, with a shy, self-conscious side hidden by her feisty nature.

Griffin and Sam are fine...but I'm DEFINITELY team Jack. Oh, how I fell for Jack Dandy. *swoon* ;)

The plot, while slow in parts, is unique and interesting. The Organites are a great concept--Like something out of a ST:TNG episode. Great touch.

This is a bigger book, so I think I'd recommend it for kids 14+, and for adults, of course.
I AM hoping we see a bit more romance between Finley and Jack in the second book. I'll be reviewing that one soon, so keep an eye out for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment