Tuesday 11 September 2012

Book Review: Love Chosen by Marne Ann Kirk

Paperback
277 pages
Release date: March 20, 2012
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
Series: The Fae Dragon Chronicle #1
Author: Marne Ann Kirk
Thank you to the author for providing this book for review!



For millennia, dragon and fae have peacefully co-existed, but the fae themselves have lived segregated and very different lives. Now a malevolence threatens to separate them all permanently. Can a Queen's guard and a rebellious outlaw join forces to defeat this common enemy? Tyler's touch sparks fierce desire, drawing Issie to him, but she despises his way of life and all that palace society represents. If he learns she wields majic to help the less fortunate escape the kingdom, he'll charge her with treason. Her punishment - death. Issie is a sassy rebel who is constantly looking for ways to circumvent the conventions of their society. Tyler's head warns that she's a non-majical lower, beneath him. His heart sees by her inner strength and outer beauty. Only a binding love will lend them strength to save her life - their world. Can either of them bend enough to trust that love?



I LOVED the first half of Love Chosen. Sadly, the second half had big shoes to fill...and while it was okay, it fell kind of flat.

Issie is a great character. She's strong and smart and kicks serious ass.
Tyler, on the other hand, felt forced to me. I didn't feel the chemistry that was supposed to be between he and Issie.
And the sex scenes--which are VERY graphic--were also VERY cheesy, rushed and unrealistic.

Okay, now that THAT'S out of the way, I'll get to the good bits!

Ms. Kirk's Fae Dragon world is amazing. It's amazingly real and definitely a place I'd want to visit!
Her characters are vivid and alive, and you come to care for them very much.
Her dragons are wonderful and so very easy to love (and fear), and the magic, the trials, the royalty and the mystery were all so well written and a real pleasure to read.

I breezed through the first hundred pages or so...and then just kind of plodded through the rest.

Luckily the end DOES make the last half worth reading, and because of that ending, I will be picking up book 2.
Must....know...what happens...next!

If you like romantic fantasy, I think you'll LOVE this book.
It went wrong for me because I prefer a bit of romance in my fantasy, and this is pretty much the other way 'round. ;)

Let me know if you read it!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Christina. I appreciate that you took the time to read Love Chosen, and I appreciate your honesty in the review.
    I'm working on the edits for the second book in the series now, and I'll keep your comments in mind as I go through the romance end of it.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete