Saturday 6 April 2013

Doctor Who: The Rings of Akahten


Y'know, I'm having a hard time with this episode.
On one hand, it was pretty bad. I mean, probably the worst episode since The Beast Below.
On the other hand, Matt was SO GOOD that I was moved to tears during his 'take it all!' speech. Like, literally moved to tears, sitting here on the couch, crying. He was THAT AMAZING.
Not to mention Jenna, who was also great during her big speech, right?!

I just...I'm not a big fan of child actors (sorry, sorry!), the songs were bad and the story was just silly.
But man, did Matt make up for all of that. Phew, I can't get it out of my head!

I DID like some of the aliens. They were cool. The barking one? Not so much.
The Susan mention was wonderful ("I came here a long time ago with my granddaughter.").

I DIDN'T like how, apparently, Clara and the Doctor can breathe in space while on a space-moped. Um. Wut?
Also, was the leaf completely different, or am I crazy? I could have sworn the leaf the Doctor took out of Cara's book was a maple leaf.
The leaf she gave to the God was NOT a maple leaf.

But the first few minutes before the opening was great, and the last few minutes as well...which brings me to my theory.
I mentioned it a few different places to a few different people, but never posted it here.
Tonight's episode really cemented in for me, so I think it's time I bring it up to you guys!

I think the Doctor is slowly going to lose his memory, which will lead us into the 50th anniversary special and the Fields of Trenzalore.
I think Clara is a kind of 'key'--possibly sent by the Doctor's future self--to help him remember who he is so that the ultimate question can be answered, "Doctor Who?"
To be clear, I DO NOT mean the Doctor's name. Your name is not who you are.
I mean his memories. His hearts. WHO he really is.

Oh, and a last note--
Clara's mother died on March 5, 2005.
Rose Tyler went missing in the episode 'Rose' on March 6, 2005, which means that the mannequins came to life and the building exploded on March 5, 2005.
Coincidence? When it comes to Moffat? Never. ;)

I'd love to hear your theories!
And what did you think of this episode?
Let me know in the comments, on Facebook or Twitter!


1 comment:

  1. I have the same opinion as you regarding this episode, it was saved by 11 & Clara's speech at the end because I spent a good 20 minutes wondering why this episode was so bad.
    There was a lot of similarities to Beast Below, I kept thinking "What Would Amy Do" whenever Clara did something because they're being written the same way at times.
    Maybe it's a magical space moped? Or has a bubble of breathable air?

    I didn't like that there was an angry creature burst to be free and that the Doctor didn't try to reason with it, just went "Oy, monk stop chanting and let's run away with the little girl". He didn't think about retaliation from the Grandfather at having his meal taken away?

    I do like your theory about the Doctor's loosing his memory, it makes sense and it would be a storyline I would be interested to watch,

    Keep up the review! I love reading them.
    -KK

    ReplyDelete