Tuesday 31 July 2012

Book Review: The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner

Paperback
216 pages

Release date: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill Canada (Penguin)


You wake in the middle of the night, your arms and feet pinned by strong hands. As you thrash your way to consciousness, a calm voice says, “Steady. We’re here to help.” Your mind registers a paramedic, a policeman, an ambulance. You are lying on the lookout at Keeper’s Point, the lookout Amanda Creen supposedly threw herself off. And you have absolutely no idea how you got there.


Aaron Rowe walks in his sleep. He has dreams he can’t explain and memories he can’t recover. Death doesn’t scare him—his new job with a funeral director may even be his salvation. But if he doesn’t discover the truth about his hidden past soon, he may fall asleep one night and never wake up. A potent, intense psychodrama that will keep you gripped to the very last page.




It's so tough to write a review when you're not sure exactly HOW you felt about the book you're reviewing!

The Dead I Know is a simply written book, about a very difficult subject. When researching this book I discovered it was written for teens ages 14-18.
No way would I recommend, or even allow my OWN children to read this book at 14! I think 16, even 17 is the youngest.
There are many very graphic scenes and the content just isn't acceptable for younger teens.

Now, that THAT'S out of the way, lets get to it, shall we?

Aaron is an interesting character, and one that was--for me at least--difficult to relate to.
But I DID care about him, and that's what kept me turning the pages.

Aaron goes through hell during this book, and that's really tough to watch when you're as empathetic and sensitive as I am.

The behind the scenes at the funeral home is fascinating, if slightly gory and macabre, and Aaron's boss and his family are wonderfully written.

I'm going to recommend this book to teen--boys especially--ages 16 and up...But ONLY if a parent reads it first.
I truly believe that this is a book that needs to be discussed after it's read.


No comments:

Post a Comment