Tuesday 3 July 2012

Book Review-- Shark Bait by Jenn Cooksey

eBook
Release date: June 15, 2012
Self-published

Series: Grab Your Pole #1
Author: Jenn Cooksey




Camie’s worldly wisdom might be severely lacking (i.e., the closest she’s come to being kissed was sitting too close to the TV whilst Jake Ryan leaned in to give Samantha that fateful 16th birthday kiss), but she does understand her only hope for survival is if she’s thrown some kind of “social” life preserver before she sinks like a freaking rock. However, what will her fate be when she endeavors to flag down the only lifeguard on duty, the enormously popular and ridiculously beautiful Tristan Daniels? The most sought after and virtually most unattainable guy in school who not only makes Camie’s heart flatline on a recurring basis, he’s also the one guy who seemingly doesn’t know she exists.
Feeling like an inept piece of chum that could ultimately be swallowed by Jaws, can Camie get Tristan to rescue her from floundering in the treacherous deep, or is she destined to be Shark Bait?



I've been sitting here for an hour now, trying to come up with a word to describe this book.
It FINALLY came to me; adorable!

Shark Bait is an adorable, fun, HILARIOUS book. I mean laugh-out-loud, hold-your-sides hilarious.

Our main character, Camie (short for Cameron), is wonderful. She's snarky and funny and flawed and sweet. I seriously loved her.

And her sister, Jillian? Oh, I MUST read more about Jillian! She quickly became my favourite character! You'll see why when you read the book. Spoilers! ;)

Tristan, however, I often wanted to punch. :P
He's moody and jealous and yes, charming and gorgeous and funny and super-smexy!

The friendships written are really fabulous. I wish I'd had friends like Kate when I was in high school!

Shark Bait would make a great beach read. It's light and...did I mention hilarious? And it has BUFFY references, people! BUFFY!

Jenn Cooskey hit it out of the park with her first novel. Her writing style is unique and random and amazing.
And she's a really awesome person, too!

I wouldn't call Shark Bait a YA novel. It's a little bit more mature than I'd recommend for a teen. I'm going to use the 'new' term, New Adult. That seems to fit better, although it does have younger main characters than usually fit into the NA column.
Because of some subject matter and swearing, I recommend this book to teens 17+ and to adults. Especially those of us who grew up in the 80's/early 90's. You'll love Shark Bait!

I'm SO looking forward to the second book in the series, The Other Fish in the Sea, which I hope has more Jillian and in which I hope Jillian ends up with Pete, although not for a few years because Jillian is too young for him just yet! :P

Look for an interview with the author AND a giveaway of Shark Bait coming soon!


1 comment: