Wednesday 3 October 2012

Book Review: The Infects by Sean Beaudoin

Paperback
384 pages
Release date: Sept. 25, 2012
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Author: Sean Beaudoin
Thank you to Candlewick for providing this ARC for review!

Seventeen-year-old Nero is stuck in the wilderness with a bunch of other juvenile delinquents on an “Inward Trek.” As if that weren’t bad enough, his counselors have turned into flesh-eating maniacs overnight and are now chowing down on his fellow miscreants. As in any classic monster flick worth its salted popcorn, plentiful carnage sends survivors rabbiting into the woods while the mindless horde of “infects” shambles, moans, and drools behind. Of course, these kids have seen zombie movies. They generate “Zombie Rules” almost as quickly as cheeky remarks, but attitude alone can’t keep the biters back.








I haven't had this much fun while reading a horror novel in a LONG time!
The Infects is twisted and disturbing and dark and hilarious and witty and unique and just a heckuva read!

This is not your usual 'walking dead zombies' book. Not by a long shot.
It's like....Lord of the Flies meets Zombieland meets Shaun of the Dead.

Poor Nick has to go out and support the family after his father (his father is called, 'The Dude'. I kid you not) loses his job. Nick works at a chicken slaughter-house. He goes a bit batty and ends up doing time with other juvvies at an outdoor retreat....And that's when the zomb-pocalypse happens.

My favourite characters?
Nero
Amanda
Yelstin
The Rock (Yep. THAT The Rock)

I wish I could tell you more, but this is one book that I just don't want to spoil!

There IS one thing that bothers me, however...
On the back of my ARC, it says that they're marketing this book to teens 14+.
There's NO WAY I would ever allow a 14 year old to read this. I don't think I'd let my 16 year old read it, and I'm the furthest thing from a strict parent!
It's WAY to full of gore and guck and mature scenes.

So, if you're 17 or older, read this book. It's great, mindless fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment