Thursday 12 April 2012

YA Book Review- Emerald City by Alicia K. Leppert


eBook
Expected Release Date: April 10, 2012
Publisher: Cedar Fort (Sweetwater Books)

Thank you to Net Galley and Cedar Fort for allowing me to read this eARC.



Olivia Tate is a broken shell of a girl haunted by the tragic events that fill her past.  She has closed herself off from the world, each day grasping at something—anything—to live for. Convinced there will never be a way out, she seeks solace in the depths of her medicine cabinet. 
When she wakes up days later in the hospital she is introduced to Jude, the quiet stranger responsible for saving her life. She never could have guessed then that her mysterious rescuer would end up saving her life a second time, while simultaneously turning her world upside down.


This book deals with some dark, dark stuff. Olivia's life has been...well, rough doesn't really even cover it. The girl has seen things no one should ever see and because of that, she's quickly spinning in a downward spiral.

Luckily, Jude is there to step in and save her from herself.

Being honest, until about halfway through this book I was comparing Olivia to Bella from Twilight (did I really even need to explain who Bella is?).
Thank GOD the author went in a completely different and better way!

I connected with Olivia from page one. I definitely sympathized with her struggles. I was impressed with the way Ms. Leppert wrote Olivia in the first-person, bringing the reader into her pain.

Jude was....cute. That's really the only word I can use to describe him. I didn't fall in love with him, but he didn't drive me crazy either. I just felt very distanced from him, probably because of how 'mysterious' he is.

The first half of Emerald City is a bit slow. The 'supernatural'  element  isn't even mentioned until you're well over halfway through the book.
I did see the 'secret' coming, but it was a nice secret nonetheless.

I feel pretty neutral toward this book. I didn't love it, but it was a nice little read.

I would recommend this book to teens 14+, and for you parents, reading this with (or before) your teen would be a great way to broach the difficult subjects discussed in Emerald City.

(You can purchase Emerald City here.)

2 comments:

  1. I am totally glad you stuck with it! It is so hard to stick with a book when it doesn't pick up until half way through!! I am sorry you didn't end up loving it but at least it wasn't horrible right :) Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a LOT for me to not finish a book. It has to be completely HORRIBLE, lol.
      Thanks, Tiff!

      Delete